Harry's Bar: "The Emporer's clothes...." Harry's Bar Tip by dibaco

Harry's Bar, Venice: 35 reviews and 9 photos

I can truly say that this review will give an unbiased opinion, as Harry's Bar was booked for us and we were not aware of it's reputation or history before or during dinner.
It was a memorable experience, but not in a good way. Never in my life I have eaten such lousy food for extortion prices.
Picture this: walking into a very small bar, going up a small staircase to the second floor which looks like it's frozen in the 60's, and not in a charming way... Bright lights, no music, only the sound of an old airco blowing freezing air in your neck at full throttle. You order a bottle of the local beer (13 euro!). Then you see the menu and your heart stops. 35 euro for a starter and 65 euro for a main course. Not even Italy's best restaurant, La Pergola in Rome, dares to ask such prices!
The quality was the worst I've ever eaten in the past 25 years. The service was ok but a bit arrogant and overly formal. And there are loads of them: I think I've counted over 15 waiters in a restaurant the size of an average living room. Mind you this guarantees no quick service...

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Papardelle pasta with Ragu. It was served on a stone cold plate and the food was barely luke warm. The pasta was al dente but lacked any flavour. The ragu turned out to be a spoonful of ground beef, no sauce. Thank god they served some grated parmazan with it to give it some flavour. Then for the main course: veal with lemon sauce. Imagine again a cold plate with five tiny slices of veal (about 120 grams) with a ' sauce' with tasted like it was composed of pure lemon juice and vinigar... On a side plate this was served with mushy broccoli and carrot. Absolutely horrible. One upside: the chianti wine was ok at 50 euro although it's served in tiny glasses.
Together with my partner we were presented with a 336 euro bill for two starters, two main courses, one bottle of wine and 1 espresso. When I left te restaurant, I wondered one thing: why didn't I leave this place immediately and why isn't this restaurant on the world's worst-list?

Address: San Marco 1323 Calle Vallaresso
Rating: 1
Theme: Italian
Website: http://www.harrysbarvenezia.com/

• Updated Mar 5, 2009

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Venice?