"Fort Kochi" Top 5 Page for this destination India Things to Do Tip by MichaelFalk1969
India Things to Do: 1,031 reviews and 1,690 photos
Fort Kochi is probably the most cosmopolitan part of Kerala, as this historic harbour and trade city has been part of local Keralan kingdoms, encountered Jewish emigrants and Christian missionaries, has experienced Portuguese, Dutch and British merchants and colonial rule and then became part of the independent India. Fort Kochi covers a rather small area, and the main sights can probably explored in a day. It is as a hub for foreign tourists who start their Kerala itinerary, but still charming and perfect if you don`t want to be exposed to a too big cultureshock.
Some suggestions on what to see in Fort Kochi:
- the mix of old colonial houses lining the streets
- the historic Mattancherry quarter
- the Dutch Palace in Mattancherry (with frescoes from Hindu mythology)
- the Jewish Synagogue in Mattancherry
- the Chinese fishing nets on the waterfront, (introduced by Chinese merchants in the 14th century)
- St Francis Church, built in 1503 by the Portuguese as a catholic church and where Vasco da Gama was once buried
- Santa Cruz Basilica, also built by the Portuguese in the 1500s, later destroyed by the British, rebuilt near the end of 19th century.
- the Indo-Portuguese Museum (actually more a history on Keralan church history) and the Bishops`House
More Reviews (50)
- See All Indian non-sights
- See All small change
- See All a price guide
- See All keep your entrance tickets !!!
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Have you been to India?Share Your Travels