"Basilica di Santa Croce, Florence" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Things to Do Tip by hopang
Italy Things to Do: 1,470 reviews and 2,257 photos
Basilica di Santa Croce (Basilica of the Holy Cross) is located at Piazza di Santa Croce just behind the National Library of Florence in the heart of the city of Florence. It is the main Franciscan church in Florence and it is also one of the richest medieval churches in Italy. It is the largest Franciscan church in the world!
Basilica of Santa Croce began construction in 1294 by Arnolfo di Cambio. It has Florentine Gothic style of architecture. The basilica was consecrated by Pope Eugene IV in 1442. The facade of the church which was constructed of marble was designed by Matas between 1845 and 1863. Its bell tower was designed by Baccani in 1874. The interior of the church is shaped like an Egytian cross or Tau cross, a symbol of St. Francis. Its sixteen chapels are decorated with frescoes designed by Giotto. The chapel itself was designed by Brunelleschi.
Address: Piazza di Santa Croce 16, Florence
Directions: Located at Piazza di Santa Croce behind the National Library of Florence in the heart of the city of Florence.
Phone: +39 055 244 619
More Things to Do in Italy (91)
More Reviews (61)
- See All An upmarket shopper's paradise
- See All Bus from Milan to Serravalle Designer...
- See All Milan Tourism Point in Milan
- See All Souvenir book - Art and History Milan
- See All Excellent Neopolitan pizzas and Italian...
- See All An excellent 4 star hotel
- Jewish Community of Venice
- Passion for gambling
- See All Free guided walking tour in Vatican City
- Main Stadium, Chianciano Terme
- Praying at the chapel, Vatican City
- Beware of pickpockets!
hopang's Related Pages
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels