"Statue of Dante Alighieri, Verona" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Things to Do Tip by hopang
Italy Things to Do: 1,470 reviews and 2,257 photos
The Statue of Dante Alighieri (1265 - 1321) is located approximately at the center of Piazza Dante/Piazza dei Signori in the heart of the city of Verona. It was erected in 1865 and was designed by Ugo Zannoni. Piazza Dante is surrounded by several famous buildings such as Palazzo del Comune where Dante wrote the Purgatorio, Loggia del Consiglio and the Torre dei Lamberti.
Dante Alighieri was the greatest Italian poet, a statesman as well as a language theorist. His greatest and best known work is undoubtedly "Divine Comedy" written between 1310 and 1314. It is a masterpiece of world literature. He is known as a supreme poet in Italy. He is also called the Father of Italian Language. He is regarded as one of the most important writers in European literature.
He lived part of his life in exile. He stayed in Verona briefly as a guest of Bartolomeo I della Scala, the then ruler of Verona. Don't miss the Statue of Dante Alighieri when you visit the city of Verona!
Address: Piazza Dante, Verona
Directions: Located right in the center of Piazza Dante or Piazza dei Signori in the heart of Verona.
More Things to Do in Italy (91)
More Reviews (61)
- See All An upmarket shopper's paradise
- See All Bus from Milan to Serravalle Designer...
- See All Milan Tourism Point in Milan
- See All Souvenir book - Art and History Milan
- See All Excellent Neopolitan pizzas and Italian...
- See All An excellent 4 star hotel
- Jewish Community of Venice
- Passion for gambling
- See All Free guided walking tour in Vatican City
- Main Stadium, Chianciano Terme
- Praying at the chapel, Vatican City
- Beware of pickpockets!
hopang's Related Pages
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels