Restaurant de la Grille: "family restaurant in the 10th" La Grille Tip by jemima62

La Grille, Paris: 1 reviews and 0 photos

This is a lovely old fashioned, typically French bistro which was recommended in the book 'Paris by Bistro' by Christine and Dennis Graf which featured a smiling photo of the proprietor. I'd had it on my list for a while when we found ourselves staying in a studio apartment on the Rue du Faubourg Poissonniere. Arriving in Paris on Friday we decided to call in to make a reservation. We were out of luck for the weekend - the restaurant is very small and has only a few tables - but made a reservation for the following Monday, having already fallen completely in love with the place!

On Monday we were met by M. Cullerre looking a little older than but otherwise exactly like the smiling, welcoming photo in my book. We were handed a menu but realising we were English M. Cullerre went to exchange it for an English language version; however he seemed delighted when I said I would prefer to stick with the original menu to test my French!

The atmosphere in the restaurant was lovely; Monsieur was very attentive and appreciative of my linguistic efforts. There were two other tables occupied and the people sitting next to us were brought into the conversation as I tried to recall long forgotten words and expressions. Whilst finishing our wine after dinner I was bemused to hear someone apparently calling my name - when I enquired it transpired that a lady working in the kitchen has the same name as me. At that there were introductions all round, including Madame who was sitting at the front of the restaurant and the chef who was brought from the kitchen to say hello!

By the time we left we felt like old friends and promised next time we go to take a hat to add to Madame's extensive and somewhat eclectic collection that adorns the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: We started with frisee aux lardons and russian salad, followed by boeuf bourgignon (pronounced excellent) and the most beautiful tender lamb chops. Instead of vegetables these were served with a savoury potato cake which seemed to be a speciality of the house. I don't remember what wine we drank but it was probably a house red - I remember it was very nice but as I've said before I'm no expert and we were entranced about everything that night!

The main house speciality is grilled turbot in a butter sauce for two people. Unfortunately this was a little out of our budget but we will try it one day!

Our total bill for aperitifs and two excellent courses with wine was 69.50 Eu. I've selected 'about average' as the comparative price; however I know that this is all relative. At the time this was actually one of our more expensive meals because we do Paris on a tight budget; however in terms of quality and value for money it was worth every cent for the wonderful experience.

Address: 80, Rue du Faubourg Poissoniere
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Metro: Poissonniere. Head down Faubourg Poissonniere in the direction of Bonne Nouvelle. The restaurant is on the left.
Phone: 01 47 70 89 73