La Fresque: "Dining in Les Halles" La Fresque Tip by jemima62

La Fresque, Paris: 2 reviews and 4 photos

Reflection in the building opposite the restaurant
by jemima62

I was curious about this restaurant as it was mentioned in one of my favourite books: 'Almost French - A New Life in Paris' by Sarah Turnbull. We visited in March 2008 and, not surprisingly for a Saturday night, the restaurant was packed. However the manager offered us a glass of wine whilst we waited at a table on the terrace - thankfully covered in at that time of year as it was very cold outside! We didn't have to wait too long before a table was found for us. As I said, the restaurant was very busy so we often had to wait quite a while for service and had to catch the waiter's attention a couple of times when it became clear he had forgotten us! We weren't in any hurry and they were very friendly and nice so it wasn't a big deal but either in spite of or because of how cold it was outside, it was very hot inside the restaurant which made it a little uncomfortable (this didn't seem to be bothering anyone else so maybe that was just me!) The staff and clientele were mainly young people; the decor was more funky than classic - it had a nice look and feel and was clearly very popular. We enjoyed our meal and, as always, indulged in a bit of people watching so all in all it was a nice evening. I think I would like to try it again, perhaps on a quieter night.

Favorite Dish: We shared a starter which was a large plate of mediterranean style hors d'ouvres; my main course was perfectly cooked duck breast in a sweet sauce with honey, my husband had a stew of wild boar served with tagliatelle which was delicious. We normally go with house wine because we're no experts and are fairly easily pleased (!) but on this occasion I decided to try and improve my education by asking the waiter for a suggestion. This was a Graves which seemed a little on the pricey side compared to what we usually have so we compromised by sticking with a 50cl pichet for Eu 16.50. We didn't have dessert and our total bill was Eu51.80.

Address: 100 Rue Rambuteau, 75001 Paris
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Close to the Les Halles metro station. Rue Rambuteau runs across the top of the Forum des Halles.
Price: US$31-40