Chakalaka: "A taste of South Africa in London" Top 5 Page for this destination Chakalaka, Putney Tip by toonsarah

Chakalaka, Putney, London: 4 reviews and 13 photos

Ostrich skewer
      Ostrich skewer
  • Bobotie - London
      At Chakalaka
    by toonsarah

I passed this spot recently and the restaurant seems to have closed down, but I leave this review for my own records.

This is a bright, buzzy restaurant serving traditional South African dishes. On a recent visit on a freezing cold February evening it was perhaps hard to imagine ourselves anywhere in Africa, but the warm red walls and decorative touches such as wooden masks and animal skins helped create a good atmosphere, and the company of friends and a few glasses of house red provided some much-needed warmth.

Most of us took advantage of the special menu on offer, with two courses and a glass of wine for just 15. I chose a warming butternut squash soup and followed this with a traditional dish of Bobotie (lightly curried minced lamb and almonds, served with rice and a platter of extras including chutney, coconut and banana). This was perhaps not the best of choices, as I like spicy food and was disappointed at just how mild this was. I added a dessert to the set menu, a creamy dish called Dom Pedros which I liked on initially tasting but found a little too sweet despite the addition of whisky (it comes with the liquor of your choice).

Despite my disappointment with a couple of the dishes, I had a good time here and would certainly go back, but would probably choose from the main menu another time.

Address: 136 Upper Richmond Road, Putney, SW15 2SP
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Nearest tube station is: East Putney, on the Wimbledon branch of the District Line. Turn left out of the station, cross the road at the crossing, and the restaurant is just a few minutes? walk further
Phone: %s3%cb 020 8789 5696
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 3
Theme: African

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Mar 22, 2014

toonsarah Lives Here!

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to London?