"Rothenburg ob der Tauber" Germany Things to Do Tip by Robmj
Germany Things to Do: 1,227 reviews and 1,979 photos
The name of this stunning medieval town is because it is located on a plateau overlooking the Tauber river.
In the middle ages this town was once a "free imperial city" meaning it was not part of Germany and its glory days are still perserved in its fascinating cobbled streets and houses and town walls repleat with ramparts, clock towers and turrets.
In my opinion and many others I believe, the old town part of Rothenburg is still Germany's best-preserved walled town. Today it gets packed with tourists but hang around and stay a few nights and you will appreciate the town more. There is loads to do:
- climb the town hall tower for great views
- go shopping, this is a great town for that
- take a walk around the ramparts of the medieval town walls
- take the night walking tour
- visit the medieval crime and punishment museum
- visit St Jacob's church to see a magnificent 500 year old alterpiece
- walk throught the Tauber valley
- spend time in the market sqaure
- take the classic picture of Rothenburg at the Plonlien
- wander in the castle gardens
- sample the splendid beers in the bars and Biergartens
Explore and you will find much much more, this town is a must-do when visiting Germany.
Address: Northern Bavaria
Directions: District of Ansbach of Mittelfranken (Middle Franconia), the Franconia region of Bavaria, Germany
More Reviews (1)
Robmj's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels