Casa Viridiana: "Beautiful, Romantic Puerto Vallarta Penthouse" Puerto Vallarta Hotel Tip by lotuslandman

Puerto Vallarta Hotels: 206 reviews and 297 photos

View From Roof-top bed

View From Roof-top bed
      Inside the suite
      The patio
    by lotuslandman

In January 2009, I planned a surprise trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for my girlfriend. Coming from Vancouver, Canada, where an especially harsh and lasting winter was wrecking havoc, the sand and sun of a beautiful beach getaway, coupled with relatively inexpensive flights (thank you, Global Financial Crisis), was a truly irresistible combination.

This wasn't, however, just any spontaneous vacation. Sometime during the trip I planned to propose to my girlfriend, Jodie, the love of my life.

Now, I've never done anything the simple way, and staying in some standard fare, cookie-cutter beach resort just isn't me. Sure, the swim-up bar is nice, but there is nothing authentic about it and the food is usually mediocre at best.

Besides, I had an ulterior motive. I love traveling to different places around the world, and my girlfriend has not had the same opportunities to do this. While I was riding on a ferry to middle of nowhere Indonesia, Jodie was working her way through nursing school. Having not had these experiences, she is just a little apprehensive about traveling outside the regular tourist zones and, as her potential long term partner, it's important to me that she has the chance to see if she shares my love of exploring.

So, with all of this in mind, I set out to find a romantic, authentic, reasonably priced place to stay while in Puerto Vallarta. It was not an easy task. Focusing on condos, I found that some were nice but nothing special. Many were too far away from the city centre. Other seemed appropriate, but turned about to be prohibitively expensive.

Finally, one night at about 4 am, I stumbled across a craigslist ad for Casa Viridiana (www.casaviridiana.com). The pictures were striking, and the description was lucid and well written. After I contacted Louis the owner, everything seemed to fall into place.

As it turned out, the photos that had captured my attention did not nearly do justice to the real thing. The views from the patio and roof are truly stunning, and I could have spent the entire time outside in the hammock, gazing onto the bay and the mountains. The suite itself was clean, comfortable and simply but beautifully decorated.

The neighbourhood was perfect. The area is home to local Mexicans and long-time expats. When it wasn't quiet (which was a lot of the time) my girlfriend and I could hear the sounds of birds and, on the Friday morning, children playing at the nearby elementary school. The Malecon (the main boardwalk with all the nightlife and pricey restaurants), is close enough to walk-to, but far enough away to feel like you are secluded from the regular tourist happenings.

Needless to say, my girlfriend fell in love with the place. She liked it so much that she was silly enough to say yes when I proposed to her on the rooftop, open air bed, just after the nightly fireworks had begun.

I have no doubt that this trip has ignited in her a desire to keep exploring the world with me - and I can say for sure that she wants to return to the suite and to Puerto Vallarta (perhaps in that order of importance!).

It was an all-around amazing five days, thanks in large part to my decision to stay at Casa Viridiana.

The suite's owner, Louis and property manager, Brad were both extremely helpful. Louis let me in on the very best local restaurants, and Brad's advice sent Jodie and I on an adventure to a secluded beach paradise.

For all these reasons, it's without any reservation that I will recommend this suite to anyone looking for a unique, memorable experience in Puerto Vallarta.

Unique Qualities: Beautiful views;
Great location;
Well-decorated;
Great value.

Address: Gringo Gulch
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Gringo Gulch. Perched on the hillside behind Cathedral of Guadalupe Church, overlooking bay and town.
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Pension/Guesthouse

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Puerto Vallarta?