"Shopping on the Side Streets" Kosice Favorite Tip by lmkluque

• - Kosice
      Slovak Crystal Collection
      Part Of My--Family Heirloom--Slovak Crystal
    by lmkluque

Favorite thing: There were interesting things to see on the side streets and one was a shop selling Slovak crystal.

The glass industry has its roots in the Czech Republic and Slovak Republic, formerly Czechoslovakia, from the early 15th century. Local production throughout the country was characterized by a large number of small workshops.The art of glass blowing in Slovakia today has not significantly changed in 600 years which I knew little about at the time of my visit to Kosice.

The day we passed the shop, with it's beautiful crystal glass ware, it was unfortunately closed. What a shame. An item from this shop would have been a prefect gift for my parents who had encouraged and helped finance this visit to Czechoslovakia.

Fondest memory: Later we arrived in Vlachovo to meet more relatives and the story of my disappointment at not being able to buy any of the gorgeous crystal was told. The night of my departure from Vlachovo during the family gathering, I was presented with gifts of beautiful crystal from each family group. I was awed by their generosity. Even more so because the money I had brought to buy them presents couldn't be spent because the Tuzex stores had been closed also.

Even though I had brought gifts with me and had sent gifts for each member the next Christmas it still couldn't compare with what I had received.

• Updated Oct 14, 2013

Comments

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”