"Old Town Deli - Washington & King Sts, Old Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria Restaurant Tip by Ewingjr98

Alexandria Restaurants: 133 reviews and 314 photos

While wandering around Old Town one warm afternoon, I noticed a tiny hole-in-the-wall called Old Town Deli. I detoured from my planned route and wandered over that way. Before entering, I checked out the small signboard on the street that listed their breakfast and lunch specials and it sounded good, so I headed on inside. As soon as I entered I was surprised by the long line there for a later lunch. I passed about 8 or 10 people waiting and headed to the sign at the back of the restaurant telling customers where to place their orders. Upon arriving at the back of the line I noticed their huge hand-written menu over the kitchen, as well as several aluminum pans of prepared foods waiting to be consumed. With about 15 seconds one of the cooks behind the counter took my order, and I paid, then got my food to go, all within five minutes. Total for a chicken cheese steak sandwich with fries was about $8.50.

When I arrived home the first thing I noticed in the bag was the generic "Chef's Quality" ketchup; not quite like the real deal--Heinz. Digging further into the bag I saw my meal packed into an environmentally disastrous styrofoam container; big, soft fries on one side, sandwich, cut in half on the other. Overall, the food was good, but somewhat lacking in flavor. Maybe just a dash of salt or hot sauce will do the trick next time.

The tiny restaurant had about five workers all cranking out meals while I waited, and they were all very friendly, even if somewhat rushed to take care of all the order. Other items on the menu include a huge variety of sandwiches and Greek foods.

Overall: very fast, kind of expensive for a sandwich, bland food.

Address: 109 N Washington St, Alexandria 22314
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Between King Street & Ross Alley
Phone: (703) 836-8028
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 3
Theme: Deli

• Updated Feb 10, 2009

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Have you been to Alexandria?