"The TranzAlpine Train" Top 5 Page for this destination South Island Transportation Tip by amandajayne81

South Island Transportation: 29 reviews and 30 photos

Waiting at the Christchurch Train Station
by amandajayne81

I love train trips and when I read that this was one of the best in the world I was keen to take it. We used it as our transport to get from Christchurch on NZ East Coast over to the West Coast before we hire our car.

The train departs daily around 8am and arrives on the West Coast at just after noon. There are many places you can get off the train although there isn't enough time to sight see at these places. The only other major stop is Arthurs Pass and many people hop off then catch the return train later in the afternoon.

The trip itself probably wasn't as good as I anticipated. The hour or so in the Alps was stunning and the first part across the Canterbury Plains was ok but the part after Arthurs Pass into Greymouth was a bit boring. That said the man giving info of the speaker was great to listen to and we learnt a lot.

Do the trip if you are really keen on trains and love learning the facts and trivia but it can easily be driven also.
The trip cost about 300 NZD for the two of us.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Train
Website: http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz

• Written Feb 6, 2009

Comments

amandajayne81

“See See See”

Have you been to South Island?