"Planning your trip -" Top 5 Page for this destination Murano Island Tip by suvanki

Murano Island, Venice: 57 reviews and 100 photos

this is part of a forum reply to a solo female traveller

I travel at least once a year to Venice by myself, and find it's a great place for a solo female to visit. I feel quite safe, even wandering around in the early hours of the morning.

Booking accommodation - I tend to use Venere, Booking.com and Hostel bookers. You can check out accommodation in your price range, read reviews from people who've stayed there etc.
With Venere, you can click on a map of Venice, to chose hotels/ B&B's/ Guest Houses/ Town Houses/ Self catering etc. Also, there is no booking fee or deposit - you pay on arrival or departure.

There are a few hostels including the Youth Hostel on Giudecca Tel.0415238211, but you are advised to book early for July/ August.

www.hostelbookers.com/booking/index.cfm

Getting around - I tend to buy an ACTV travel card for the vaporetto for 72 hours unlimited travel, when I'm staying 3 days or more. This costs 30 euros. This ticket can also be used on the ACTV bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma and to Mestre also.(a card for 90 minutes is 6 euro and 15 euros for 24 hours).

Although I walk around a lot in Venice,I like knowing that I can just jump on a vaporetto, if the whim takes me. They run day and night, so I quite enjoy a trip up and down the Grand Canal late at night, or out into the lagoon.

If you plan visiting any of the islands, I'd suggest purchasing a 24 hour ticket at least, possibly around late morning/ early afternoon from the kiosk at Fondamente Nuova. Catch the LN (Laguna Nord) vaporetto from here to Torcello(about 50 minutes)and then Burano (or vise-versa) on your return, you could stop off at Murano, OR next morning you could nip across to Murano (10 minutes away) or San Michelle (5 minutes), returning before your ticket expires.

I'd also recommend catching the number 2 vaporetto from San Zaccaria to San Giorgio Maggiore. Here, you can climb the campanile for 3 euros, (it's half the price of the one in San Marco, there will be a smaller queue(if any) for the lift, and you get a panoramic view of Venice and beyond - you also have a church to look around)

If you expect to be looking around lots of churches, The Chorus ticket gives admission to 16 churches in Venice (9 euros for individuals, 6 for students, 18 for a family) and is valid for 1 year. Without the Chorus card, it costs 3 euros to visit each church. When I've visited at Christmas, often entrance is free. (Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari - The Frari holds a free concert every 26th December too).
There are many churches not in the Chorus scheme, that you can visit for free.
I found this article that offers an interesting way to see Venice using the Chorus Card http://www.tripso.com/traveler/venices-chorus-pass-%E2%80%94-a-path-to-revelation/

Another discount scheme is the Venice Card,There are 2 types that give discounts for transport, museums, Chorus Card etc. I've not used this card, so I can't really comment on how useful it is. The few reviews I've seen have been quite negative.

There are quite a few guided walking tours, varying in price and content. Some are held at night.
Some of these also include a gondola ride in the ticket price. For a person travelling by themselves it is often very expensive to ride in a gondola (ok it's very expensive for everyone!!) so this might be a way.
I've not been in a gondola, but I've travelled by traghetti a few times - a fun experience, and cheap.
I've seen guided evening walks that visit Osteries to sample local cuisine and wine, which I've liked the sound of- For a solo traveller, it's sometimes difficult to go into a bar by yourself, or for some people to enter busy establishments full of locals, feeling they might not be welcome.
One of my favourite Osterias (or is it a bacaro?) is Al Bottegon(Cantinone Gia Schiavo, which is on Fondamente Nani, opposite Chiesa San Trovaso and the Squero di San Trovasa (gondola boatyard) in Dorsoduro.

This is just some general information for planning your trip, If you visit my Venice page I've planned a walk around Venice that takes in the major sites, and some lesser known places, that might be helpful.

Phone: 39 41 2718500
Website: http://www.vecchiamurano.it/

• Updated Feb 3, 2009

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Venice?