"Remember to take picture at Cape Point!" Cape Point Tip by jumpingnorman

Cape Point, Cape Town: 113 reviews and 211 photos

Proof that a tourist reached Cape Point! hehehe
by jumpingnorman

I was looking at somebody else's Cape Point pictures and I wished I had taken a pic of myself at the Cape Point sign. And reviewing my pictures, I saw that I did take a picture there! I am really developing early Alzheimmer's!

WARNING: Excessive travelling can cause loss of memory!

On 18 April 1911, the Portuguese liner Lusitania with 744 people aboard was wrecked just south of Cape Point on Bellows Rock as a result the older, higher lighthouse --- so a new lighthouse was created to a lower, more reliable point with lesser fog. But I really think the older one looks better...

Although Portuguese navigator Bartolome Diaz was the first to cruise in the area, Vasco de Gamma was the first to line this point. It was also named Cape of Storms by Dias in 1488 (Cabo Tormentoso), and this has been a place of several shipwrecks.

Cape Point is also not the meeting point between Atlantic and Indian oceans - this point is 200 km farther. But this has been recognized by prominent people including Sir Francis Drake who in 1580 described it as "The most stately thing and the fairest Cape we saw in the whole circumference of the earth".

Address: Simon's Town, South Africa
Phone: +27 21 780 9010
Website: http://capepoint.co.za

• Updated Feb 1, 2009

Comments

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Have you been to Cape Town?