"DANGER!!! AVOID CITY TAXIS!!!" Taxis Tip by love-to-travel

Taxis, Cancún: 5 reviews and 1 photos

My friend and I (both 26 year old females) were staying at a resort in Cancun and felt like taking a taxi to Playa del Carmen to experience the culture and night life of 5th Avenue. We fetched a cab from outside of our resort and negotiated a fare of 35 USD. Twenty minutes into the trip the taxi driver decided to get off the highway into an abandoned construction zone. All of a sudden we realized that there was a truck that pulled right behind us. When my friend and I started demanding to go back to the highway the taxi driver stated that this was an inspection and he needed to acquire a permit. Right then I knew that we were in great danger and my first instinct was to get out of the taxi and run as fast as I could. My friend followed and we had to jump 2 fences and run for at least 4 blocks or more to get back to the main road. Luckly, the man in the truck or the taxi driver did not run after us, but this is a warning to all tourists... DO NOT TAKE CITY TAXIS!!!! This was the scariest experience of my life!!!!

Address: Cancún

• Written Jan 29, 2009

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Cancún?