"What is the Best way to access your money in Nepal" Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Packing List Tip by into-thin-air
Nepal What to Pack: 72 reviews and 52 photos
Miscellaneous: Personally I think that in Nepal it is never a good idea to rely entirely on ATM’s as apart from the load-shedding (16 hours a day in April 2013) they can often be either out of order or out of money, also you can often only access relatively small amounts of rupee and so have to effect several withdrawals which often rack up quite large bank charges, I used to take Travellers Cheques, but alas from November 2013 these will no longer be acceptable in Nepal, so from now on I will have to rely on a mixture of cash and plastic !!
As to which currency, Take a small amount of US $’s, these are handy to use buying your Visa (I know that theoretically you can buy this with any exchangeable currency, but $’s are the one that the immigration officials are most used to dealing in and you probably get the best deal using them) Buying snacks en-route to Nepal, using for emergency hard cash in Nepal and then you have the possibility to use up any remainder buying duty-free at the end of your trip.
For a little extra back-up / emergency cash, Living in UK, I always take a few £’s, If you live I the US then take $’sand if you live in the Euro-Zone take a few Euros along, In fact most “Hard” currencies can easily be exchanged in Kathmandu.
More What to Pack in Nepal (11)
More Reviews (338)
- See All Spending Money on a Packaged Trek
- See All Endearing memories of my Annapurna...
- See All Other shorter options for trekking Mardi...
- See All The dangers of not acclimating properly
- See All Ideas for Day Trips from Kathmandu
- See All Service Charges and Taxes
- See All Average Numbers arriving in Nepal
- See All Serving good food for more than 20 years
- See All Getting from Kathmandu to Pokhara
- See All Mardi Himal Loop Night 8
- See All Paintings by local artists
- See All Great Ambiance ;-)
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Have you been to Nepal?Share Your Travels