"What is the Best way to access your money in Nepal" Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Packing List Tip by into-thin-air

Nepal What to Pack: 70 reviews and 51 photos

Thamel
by into-thin-air

Miscellaneous: Personally I think that in Nepal it is never a good idea to rely entirely on ATM’s as apart from the load-shedding (16 hours a day in April 2013) they can often be either out of order or out of money, also you can often only access relatively small amounts of rupee and so have to effect several withdrawals which often rack up quite large bank charges, I used to take Travellers Cheques, but alas from November 2013 these will no longer be acceptable in Nepal, so from now on I will have to rely on a mixture of cash and plastic !!
As to which currency, Take a small amount of US $’s, these are handy to use buying your Visa (I know that theoretically you can buy this with any exchangeable currency, but $’s are the one that the immigration officials are most used to dealing in and you probably get the best deal using them) Buying snacks en-route to Nepal, using for emergency hard cash in Nepal and then you have the possibility to use up any remainder buying duty-free at the end of your trip.
For a little extra back-up / emergency cash, Living in UK, I always take a few £’s, If you live I the US then take $’sand if you live in the Euro-Zone take a few Euros along, In fact most “Hard” currencies can easily be exchanged in Kathmandu.

Good Luck
Rob

• Updated Oct 25, 2013

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM

the inside tip was to have an account with Nationwide as they didnt charge transaction fees for international withdrawals...my HSBC account gives me unlimited international ATM withdrawals because ive got HSBC advance on it (which was good for lower loan rate that i had with them included free international withdrawals and travel insurance - so a bit of a breeze for the last few years - at present Ive kept paying the monthly Advance account fees as im travelling but finished the loan last year and found out the travel insurance wont cover longer than 31 days so no use to me at all for this round the world ticket! so once im home will shut that down i guess..)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Aug 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM

just reading through emails in my Hotmail account - saw this again there! and same when I was in South America - my room mate there told me about mountain heights that you have to pay more for insurance for. making money out of everything these days!
      im back in the throes of finding insurance cover for 14 months which the best ive found so far is about £550. might have to buy a one way ticket and that's about £600...still got the cost of moving and storage...all adds up. but worth it.

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo
      Aug 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I changed over to “The True Traveller” for my travel insurance last year – So far, No Complaints, so they might be worth a call Angela
      adventuretravelinsurance.co....
      Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels
      Rob

into-thin-air Visits Here Frequently!

into-thin-air

“The Best People you Meet, You Meet on the Road !!!”

Have you been to Nepal?