"The heart of Ancient Rome" Roman Forum Tip by monica71

inside the Roman Forum on a very cold & rainy day

inside the Roman Forum on a very cold & rainy day
      inside Roman Forum, getting a break from the rain
    by monica71

I have to admit that Roman Forum and its view from Capitol Hill was my favorite spot in Rome. I knew that this place was the host of all the main temples and halls of justice. I also knew that this was the political, religious and commercial center of the city, but nothing, in all the readings that I have done prior to my trip to Rome, prepared me for the surprise and the wonderful feeling I had once I laid my eyes on this site. My mind started to wonder and my imagination to run wild while I was walking the streets of this jewel and I was listening to the audio guide that I downloaded from Rick Steve's web site before leaving Chicago.

There is so much to do and to see here and you should plan your visit accordingly. You also need to make sure that you wear comfortable shoes (sneakers are best!) as streets are uneven and rocky. You will find several fountains scattered all over the place with really good water, just in case you get thirsty or you need to refill your water bottle (in case you carry one, like I always do).

Regardless of the bad weather (rainy, windy and cold most of the time of our visit), we ended up spending close to 4 hours visiting the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill and I still feel that I could have easily spent more time here. We had to make sure, though, that we had time to visit the Colosseum also during the same day since we decided to buy the Roma Card and this gave us admission to these sites for 1 day only. There are some advantages if you buy the Roma Card, so do your homework and decide if it's better to get the card or to get the individual ticket from the site.

The ticket (if you buy it from the ticket booth) costs 11 Euros and it gives you admission to Roman Forum, Palatine Hill and Colosseum for 2 consecutive days, one entry per site. If you decide to buy the ticket from one of the sites, then make sure you buy it from the Roman Forum entrance instead of the Colosseum. The lines are much shorter here and I think it is a good strategy to visit Roman Forum and Palatine Hill before going to the Colosseum.

My favorite things that we saw here: Caligula's Palace, the forum Main Square, Temple of Saturn and the House of Vestal Virgins.

Address: in a valley between Palatine Hill &Capitoline Hill
Directions: behind Palatine Hill and on the road to Colosseum, on Via dei Fiori Imperiali
Phone: (+39) 06 39967700
Website: http://archeoroma.beniculturali.it/en/archaeological-site/roman-forum-and-palatine-hill

• Updated Jan 22, 2009

Comments

monica71

“"I still find each day too short for all the things I want to do"”

Have you been to Rome?