"Mahares: freaky sea promenade!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tunisia Off The Beaten Path Tip by Elisabcn

Tunisia Off The Beaten Path: 144 reviews and 270 photos

the coast
      the coast
      freaky promenade
    by Elisabcn
      pending bat (la gara l'ho vinta io ;-)) )
    by Elisabcn
      donut man (and Nico between his legs)
    by Elisabcn
      Café robot (pic taken by Simone)
    by Elisabcn

There is not much to say about Mahares, it?s a seaside village where some people of Sfax (which is only at few km north) have their summer house. But if you are around there, Mahares sea promenade deserves a short stop. That promenade was chosen to show the Tunisian artistic creativity to the world (picture 2) and it?s full of contemporary sculptures. Believe me: I had never seen something like this before . . . I have a sort of competition with some friends here in Tunisia, we are looking for the most freaky contemporary sculpture of the country. Usually the Tunisian roundabouts offer us very good material for this competition but after this short visit to Mahres I think that ?my pending bat?(picture 3) has won the prize!!

Updates!: the first time I visited Mahares I did not pay enough attention to the robot. . . after visiting a second time and looking at some friend?s pictures I found out that it?s possible to take a coffee inside it!! Great! I had never seen a think like this :-)) (picture 5)

Directions: On the coast
30km south of Sfax

• Updated Mar 7, 2009

Elisabcn Used To Live Here!

“Put me on a plane already!!!”

Have you been to Tunisia?