"Local Bus Tours" Dublin Bus Tip by Valerie09

Dublin Bus, Dublin: 54 reviews and 30 photos

I recently visited friends living in the Dublin area and found the public transportation very friendly and easy to use.

First, visit the city center comonly known as St. Stephens Green. From there you catch a tour bus to visit all the city's major tourist attractions. The buses run from early morning till around 5 or 6 pm. You pay one fee around $13 euro and can catch a ride all day long traveling the downtown area. There are only two or three city tour bus companies which are color coded and they have stops every few blocks. I never waited more than 10 minutes to catch a ride to a different location. It was an easy, safe, and smart way to easily navagate the city and get my bearings.

After feeling more confident with the area I typically walked or caught a local city bus for about $1.50 euro. There are so many buses but the locals are more than friendly if you should need help. I found that the merchants often had bus schedules and that they were more than happy to assist me to figure out which one I needed to catch.

While my friends worked durring the week I set out on some day trips to Waterford and other areas. You can take a train called the DART to many areas. I booked online and took taxi to my destinations. Many taxis will offer you a card so that you can call them for a ride back to the station that same evening. If you give thier card to a merchant and make a kind request, they will call for you.

Overall, my exsperience in Ireland was very nice and hassle free. The Irish are sooo friendly and accomodating. As a single female traveling alone throughout the week I never once felt afraid for my safety or worried about being scammed. Basic rule of thumb, don't be afraid to ask for assistance. It's so easy to get around with mutiple modes of public transportation available. Taxis are great, but seriously, the tour bus runs all day long you can hop on and off as many times as you want for one fee and see the whole city.

One last tip. Wear a light weight fleece or windbreaker at all times. It rains daily somewhere there for a few minutes at any given time. Get a compact umbrella to put in a purse or pocket. Wear good walking shoes. The cities are small and easy to navigate if you have decent footwear.

Type: Bus