Indochine: "Disappointing Dinner" Clarke Quay Tip by inbavaria

Clarke Quay, Singapore: 17 reviews and 21 photos

We had dinner at the Indochine on 28 Dec 2008, and the food was quite terrible. We had made reservations to have a New Year's Eve dinner at the Indochine and decided to try it out first. Good move. The food was awful. Although the restaurant has a great location and setting, the kitchen obviously is not up to the task. My daughter had steamed sea bass in lemon sauce. The fish arrived in a chafing dish which was actually smaller than the fish, which was submerged in a yellowish sauce. It looked quite ridiculuous. I nearly asked the wait staff to pour off half of the sauce so that we could see the fish. The taste was fine, but it's difficult to mess up a sea bass. My wife ordered pepper beef, which was recommended on one of the web sites we consulted. Her dish consisted of about 8 cubes of beef and nothing else. You would have expected some condiments or peppers, but it was just a few cubes of beef that were nearly cold and quite tasteless. They tasted like the kitchen had forgotten to spice the dish or add the peppers. The greatest disappointment were my tiger prawns in tamarind sauce. I had a similar dish in Phuket on a recent trip, and it was fantastic. At the Indochine, it was disgusting. There were five luke-warm, medium sized prawns stacked up against each other, with an accompanying bowl of a sticky, sweet sauce which tasted vaguely like tamarind sauce. The prawns were obviously not fresh. They had the grey-green hue of prawns which were pre-cooked and then reheated. It was just plain nasty. Considering the price of S$39 for this dish, it was quite a rip-off. Yes, the setting is great on Clarke Quay, and the service was very good, but the food was awful. Obviously, we cancelled our New Year's Eve reservations. There are many wonderful and memorable restaurants in Singapore, but I will always remember the Indochine as a great disapppointment.

Favorite Dish: None

Address: Clarke Quay, Block A
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Clarke Quay MRT
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 1
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

inbavaria's Related Pages

“Happy Journeys”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Singapore?