Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki, Oahu: "Waikiki hotel without the madness" Hawaii (State of) Hotel Tip by paul.mac

Hawaii (State of) Hotels: 193 reviews and 186 photos

Great location. Great service. Great view. We stayed at this hotel during the last full week of 2008, including Christmas, for 4 nights while visiting family on Oahu. I tried to research hotels with limited time and settled on this hotel primarily because of location, cost and room size.

The hotel is right next to the Pacific Ocean. In fact all of the rooms have view of the ocean. No garden view, mountain view, parking lot view here. When you come out of the elevator on your way to guest rooms, all the rooms are on one side of the hallway. The other side of the hallway is large windows through which you can view the mountain side of Honolulu. It was nice not having to walk through a dark hallway to get to the room. I really think this layout is a major plus of the hotel.
If you book a cheaper room, you will get a room between 5th through 10th floor. Even these all face the ocean although your view of the ocean is blocked somewhat by the small boat marina. Also all rooms face the ocean so you don't have to worry about someone looking into your room through the window.

Because of an issue at the 1st room (6th floor) we were in, after 2nd night we asked and were given a new room on the 18th floor. My wife and kids were having major allergy issues in the first room. The allergy symptoms went away when we were out of the room visiting family. It was either caused by trees/bush right outside of our window or cat hair from past guests. My guess is the cat. Anyhow we asked for and the front desk gave us a new room on 18th floor. Basically the issue wasn't the hotel's fault but they responded in a positive way immediately.

When we got to the 18th floor, the view of the ocean got much better.

We had breakfast buffet in Prince Court Restaurant in the hotel one morning and it was pretty good. The restaurant is on 5th floor btw. When we went it wasn't too crowded and were seated right next to the window. There's the usual breakfast stuff plus menu catering to Japanese/Asian tourists. Kids enjoyed fresh fruit.
I discovered Marina Front Cafe on the last morning we were there. You can pick up something quick to eat or coffee. If you are in a hurry to go on a tour that leaves early in the morning Marina Front Cafe would be a good choice. There is a Starbucks and McDonalds across the street from the hotel also. While in Hawaii, you should try McDonalds for some of the items that are available only in Hawaii.

We didn't try it this this time but a few years ago I was in Hawaii, we tried shave ice in Prince Court Restaurant and it was awesome. It was a bit pricey for 'shave ice' but it was beautifully presented and the ice was very smooth, which according to my wife is a key part of a good shave ice.

Room size:
We didn't get the suite but the room is still pretty good sized. I think its rooms are larger than other Waikiki hotels. About 420 sq ft. And the Bathroom has separate tub, shower, and enclosed toilet area with a separate glass door. Pretty useful when you have kids. Because of the tub I'd recommend this hotel for families with little kids that need to be bathed by parents.

We valeted our car for $22 (?) a day. Self-parking is $15/day I believe. They had different rates for visitors without room reservations. But in case you have visitors coming to the hotel in own car for some reason, they can use metered parking facing the boat marina.

-Furnitures are dated. I think the TVs are about 10 yrs old. They probably won't replace the TVs with wide aspect LCDs any time soon as the Entertainment Stand doesn't have the room.
-Not much to do at the hotel itself. At Hilton Hawaiian Village you can just walk out of the building and see tropical gardens, fish ponds, sandy beach, penguins etc etc which are good enough to entertain little kids and maybe even adults for awhile. But at this hotel, there is the nice airy lobby and view from the hotel and that's about it. You could walk over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village by following the sidewalk which takes you through the Hilton Lagoon and than the grounds of Hilton Hawaiian Village. It's about 5 min of walk to get there.

Lastly, we were there when the entire island of Oahu lost power for 12 - 24 hrs. All elevators were out of service when we pulled in 30 minutes after the blackout started. We were bracing ourselves for the walk up to our room on the 18th floor but thankfully they got one elevator working in both of the 2 towers in time. I heard the next morning that Hyatt had no running water during the blackout. Not our hotel.

Unique Qualities: All rooms have view of the ocean. If your floor is low enough, most of the view is taken up by the small boat marina.
Not in the middle of Waikiki but near enough that it's quiet. Within walking distance of the Ala Moana Mall.

Address: 100 Holomoana St. Honolulu, HI 96815
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: It's one of the first hotels in Waikiki area you will see as you drive in from Honolulu Airport.
Phone: 808-956-1111
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/hawaii-prince-hotel.php

• Written Jan 7, 2009

paul.mac Visits Here Frequently!

“not enough time in life to be unhappy”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?