"Ice skating - One of those traditions." Hoogeveen Sports & Outdoors Tip by Jerelis

Hoogeveen Sports & Outdoors: 5 reviews and 12 photos

Iris on the ice of a ditch nearby our house.
by Jerelis

Iris on the ice of a ditch nearby our house.
      Boeh!!!
    by Jerelis
      Bye ... I'm off to the ice!
    by Jerelis

This has trully been one of those traditions ... ice skating in The Netherlands. When I was a little kid I learned it from my father and now I'm the one teaching my children the same. It's just funny and great how it works, doesn't it? But because of the climate change the natural ice hasn't been around much in my home country. The last period of serious frost was 11 years ago in 1997. Iris and Sam weren't even born then. So not much to teach for me towards my kids.

But this year (2008 - 2009) our country finally has a serious period of frost and all the ditches, canals and lakes are frozen and secure enough to ice skate on. Time for me to learn my kids ... yeaheee!!! This is how it works: Ice skating works because the metal blade at the bottom of the ice skate shoe can glide with very little friction over the surface of the ice. However, slightly leaning the blade over and digging one of its edges into the ice ("rockover and bite") gives you the ability to increase friction and control your movement at will to go straight forward or make a turn. So here we go ... !!!

Address: All the ditches, canals and lakes in Hoogeveen.
Directions: The greater Hoogeveen area.
Theme: Other

• Updated Jan 7, 2009

Comments

Jerelis Lives Here!

Jerelis

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans!”

Have you been to Hoogeveen?