Zupa Restaurant & Deli: "Serbian in the suburbs" Lyons Restaurant Tip by Dabs

Lyons Restaurants: 1 reviews and 0 photos

Lamenting the loss of our favorite Serbian restaurant in the city and one of my all time favorite dishes, we were cautiously optimistic that a recommended restaurant in nearby suburban Lyons would fit the bill. And indeed it did, the food was excellent and the atmosphere even better than Skadarlija. Mostly because of Illinois' smoking ban, even after the ban the smoke was thick and heavy at Skadarlija but there was none of that here, you could see the patrons running outside even in the cold weather to what appeared to be the outside smoking lounge. Plus it didn't have that 1970s loungey feel that Skadarlija had and it has windows.

At 7 pm on a Friday there were only a few other people in the restaurant, mostly having drinks. I think it was still early for most Serbs but it could also be the economy or post new year's diets keeping patrons away because it's certainly not the food.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish at Skadarlija was karadjordjeva snicla, veal wrapped arround kajmak, lightly breaded and baked with sour cream on top. Zupa didn't have veal prepared like this but it did have pork and it was very good, the pork was very tender. It came served with an assortment of vegetables and a couple of cheese spreads, I could only finish about 1/2 of it before crying uncle. David ordered a meat platter with two types of sausage and pork and some of that came home with us as well. We finished off with an order of crepes with chocolate and crumbled cookies inside.

Address: 7919 Ogden Ave
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: From I55, take the Harlem exit north to Ogden and turn left, it is on the left side of the street
Phone: 708-442-7812
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Other

• Updated Jan 3, 2009

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Lyons?