"African Art - For a change of Mona Lisa." Top 5 Page for this destination Louvre Tip by breughel

Louvre, Paris: 796 reviews and 1,585 photos

Louvre - African arts
      Louvre - African arts
      Louvre - African arts - Nigeria
      Louvre - African arts - Benin
      Louvre - "Korwar" sculpture - Indonesia
    by breughel
      Louvre - Sculpture Easter Island.
    by breughel

At wing Denon one will find the most crowded part of Le Louvre with the Joconde room on the First floor but also the least visited part of the Museum with the Arts of Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas on the Ground floor at the entry of the Porte des Lions (ref my tip on this entry "A shortcut to Mona Lisa" ).
There are 7 rooms in this department and here the visitor can stand alone in front of some remarkable often surprising works of art.
I must admit I have a weakness for African art which I discovered when I was a kid by visiting the Museum for Central Africa near Brussels.

Le Louvre is showing some excellent sculptures which are coming from the Musée du Quai Branly and the Musée de l'Homme. The advantage over the Quai Branly is that Le Louvre allows taking photos prohibited at Branly. (Did you ever read the 6 pages - 4,2 Mb visitor rules of the quai Branly museum? Surrealistic; only in French).

My first photo shows an overall view. You can see that this is the place if you want to be alone at Le Louvre.
The second pic shows a sculpture of the civilisation of Ifè (Nigeria 13th c.) Photo n°3 is a woman of the Benin kingdom around 1600.
Changing of continent I much liked this frightening "Korwar" sculpture (photo 4) from Indonesia (18th c.). The head of the figure is a skull container.
My wife showed a real enthusiasm for this sculpture (17th c., photo 5) of the Easter Island; the resemblance with me is striking she said!

Address: Louvre, Wing Denon, Ground Floor.
Directions: Métro: Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Love seeing these!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM

This is a part of the Louvre that I have never seen -- must go there next time.
    Also when I have several hours of free time I will try to read the 4.2 Mb of visitor rules of the Quai Branly museum.

• breughel's Profile Photo
      Dec 21, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I used to pass through this empty part when the Porte des Lions was still open to visitors.

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Have you been to Paris?