"Christchurch Mansion" Top 5 Page for this destination Ipswich Things to Do Tip by Airpunk

Ipswich Things to Do: 30 reviews and 64 photos

Christchurch Mansion
      Christchurch Mansion
      My good old friend Philip II
      and his lovely wife, Bloody Mary
      One of the rooms inside Christchurch Mansion
      ...and another one
    by Airpunk

Considered to be the main attraction of Ipswich, this Tudor mansion houses a collection of english paintings. Many of them are from a time when english painters had not an equal reputation to italian or dutch and were not considered for ?important? works. However, opinion changed during the centuries and so, works from John Constable, for example, found also its way to Christchurch Mansion. Many of them are portraits, unfortunately I did not know many of the portrayed personalities. I even felt somewhat relieved when I saw Philip II of Spain ? and that as a student of dutch philology... The rooms were furnished with items from the past centuries, giving the mansion back Each room is furnished in a different way, giving a small impression from a different time. Christchurch Mansion started its life when the Augustinian monastery was dissolved during the reign of Henry VIII. It was home to several wealthy families before being given to the City of Ipswich in 1892. Since 1896, it is a museum.

Directions: To the north of the city center, next to St. Margaret's church
Website: http://www.ipswich.gov.uk/Services/Museums+and+Mansion/Christchurch+Mansion/

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Written Dec 25, 2008

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Have you been to Ipswich?