"Felt cheated!" Hotel Clarisse Tip by sankirve

Hotel Clarisse, Paris: 76 reviews and 0 photos

This is a small hotel with decent staff and good location (right next to tram station- Brancion). The amenities are very basic though- small rooms, tiny lift, sparse breakfast and a restaurant which is shut for winter! All this may still have been acceptable were it not for the extremely rude manager/ proprietor.
We had booked a Eurostar holiday (train + hotel) with Hotel Clarisse. We have 2 kids- one 5 yr old and one 6 months. Since Eurostar does not charge for infants, there was no mention of the baby on the room booking. So I mentioned about the baby in the special message section while booking the trip. When I checked with Eurostar they confirmed that I would not be charged anything extra by the hotel for the baby. But on arrival, the manager said that we are a family of 4 and not 3 as per the booking and so we must pay extra. I showed him the special message on his print-out, which obviously he had not read. He made some excuses about the triple room being inadequate due to the baby and so we must be moved to a bigger room. The rooms were the same size with a slightly different layout. But we were charged Euro 60 for the baby. I objected to this. But he retorted saying that the baby is not an animal - its a person and should be counted as such. I found his behaviour very offensive and unprofessional and felt cheated.
We have stayed in a 5 star hotel with our baby before and were never charged anything extra for a 6 month old infant. The other desk staff later confided that they would have definitely accomodated the baby without any extra cost. But since he was the proprietor they couldn't help.
Surely, one wouldn't want to start a holiday with such a bad experience. AVOID THIS HOTEL!

Unique Qualities: Rude manager

Address: 159 boulevard Lefebvre, , Paris, ├?le-de-France 75
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: +33 1 48 28 18 35
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Bed and Breakfast
Website: http://www.hotel-clarisse.com/

• Written Dec 24, 2008

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.