"DB Call-a-Bike" Dresden Transportation Tip by Nemorino

1. CallBikes at the Dresden main station

1. CallBikes at the Dresden main station
      2. My CallBike on the Carola Bridge over the Elbe
    by Nemorino

The German Railway System DB has recently expanded its Call-a-Bike program (which I described in detail in a tip on my Karlsruhe page) to include a minimal presence in a large number of German cities, including Dresden.

In this stripped-down version of Call-a-Bike, you can only check out and return bikes at the main railroad station, and nowhere else. Which is all right if you just want to have a quick look around between trains, but not nearly as flexible and useful as the full-scale Call-a-Bike systems in Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt am Main, Cologne, Stuttgart and Karlsruhe.

Anyway, I tried it out in September 2008 on my first afternoon in Dresden, checking out a bike using my cell phone and riding it all around for just over two hours. This was fine except that every time I wanted to stop and have a closer look at something the clock kept running while I had the bike locked up somewhere. In the end I kept the bike for two hours and two minutes, which cost me EUR 7.38 on my next credit card bill. This is quite a bit when you consider that in Paris I only paid seven Euros for an entire week of intensive cycling on the Velib' bikes.

In Dresden and other cities Call-a-Bike has a daily rate of nine Euros, in other words they stop counting after nine Euros and let you use the bike for the rest of the day.

Recently I filled out an online customer satisfaction questionnaire for the Call-a-Bikes. I gave them generally good marks, but noted that for many trips I would much prefer to take my own bike along on the train -- which DB stubbornly refuses to allow on its long-distance trains, particularly the InterCityExpress (ICE).

Second photo: My CallBike on the Carola Bridge over the Elbe River.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Bicycle
Website: http://www.callabike-interaktiv.de/kundenbuchung/process.php?proc=english&f=500

• Updated Dec 16, 2008

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Have you been to Dresden?