"In the beginning, there was speculation." Easter Island Favorite Tip by melosh

Easter Island General: 30 reviews and 50 photos

Favorite thing: One of the most important activities I can recommend is that you read about this island before you arrive. There is a lot of speculation and guessing about the cultural and environmental history. Some important aspects of the most popular theories have been challenged.

Guides tend to tell a single version. They try keep the story simple and dramatic, and to ignore or at least fail to mention alternatives. They have difficulty with uncertainty partly because people prefer to hear 'what happened' rather than 'what might have happened'. People prefer a good story.

The uncertainty of what happened on Easter Island was highlighted for me when I read in the airline magazine on my flight to Easter Island a version relating Buddha to this history. Despite my earlier reading, this was new to me. Even in the museum, I read a display that gave a quite unusual dating for the arrival of humans to South America.
If you read enough, you will have heard more than one story. You will appreciate the mystery that remains. For me, this mystery was certainly one of the islands main attractions.

• Written Dec 9, 2008

More General in Easter Island (1)

Comments

melosh

“If you have not been, you can not know.”

Have you been to Easter Island?