"Tenderloin, beware!" Areas to Avoid Tip by amberll

Areas to Avoid, San Francisco: 96 reviews and 24 photos

I had originally booked a hotel stay online at the Renoir hotel in the Tenderloin district. I only did my research (mainly reading reviews from other travelers) on the discount travel site. This was very stupid of me. The site must post fake reviews. The price for one week seemed to good to be true. After booking the trip I realized I had booked a stay at one of the trashiest hotels in California. After reading countless horrible/scary and some quite funny reviews on tripadvisor I called and canceled the stay. I was not about to stay in the "red light district" full of prostitutes, strip clubs and crack dealers. We were out $800 and had to book a second hotel in Union Square. By the way, this was not my first trip to San Francisco but I had formerly stayed years before with a boyfriend's family member near Golden Gate park which is a very different area.

The hotel in Union Square was nice and clean but was only a couple of blocks from the Tenderloin. We accidentally walked towards that area one evening and I was scared and turned right back. I had a homeless man scream at me for a couple of minutes outside a liquor store while waiting for my husband. This happened after being in San Francisco for less than 1 hour. There is great shopping and restaurants in the area in the daytime but should be avoided at night if female and not familiar with the area.

Address: San Francisco

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to San Francisco?