"Hot Line to God: The Western Wall" Jerusalem Things to Do Tip by Ekaterinburg

Jerusalem Things to Do: 904 reviews and 2,375 photos

Women praying at the wall

Women praying at the wall
    by Ekaterinburg
      Prayers crammed into every crack in the wall
      Soldiers at the Western Wall
      Men praying at The Wall
      Western Wall Plaza
    by Ekaterinburg

I suppose this is the most iconic image of Jerusalem and the place everybody wants to see once they arrive. I couldn't wait to experience it and even while enjoying everything else we were seeing and doing, part of me was all the time waiting for that moment. Eventually, around 5.00p.m. we arrived at the top of the plaza and down below The Wall was waiting. At this time it wasn't too busy, the men's section was very quiet indeed and I was politely pointed in the opposite direction when I tried to get close. The wall of course is segregated and women have their own ( smaller ) section, immediately to the right. Here there were at least two lines of women along the whole expanse of wall and I was very impresed by their level of devotion and faith. Some were crying, some were actually wailing but most were just praying very intensely and seemingly oblivious of their neighbours. Having sat and observed for a while, when a place became vacant I went and placed my petition in the wall and indulged in my own version of praying. I was hell bent on putting my piece of paper, which I'd written earlier, in the wall, but that was no easy task. Every crack and fissure was jampacked and it took me quite a while to find a little niche for it. (See Photo 2 ) At this point things had hotted up at the men's section and from 6.00p.m. onwards there was a steady flow of the faithul. The other participants in WorldMeet 2008 had gone to explore the nearby tunnels, so I had a long time here on my own, free to observe and soak up the atmosphere and local colour. In the centre of the plaza and all round the edges there was great excitement as troops of soldiers prepared for a ceremony to mark the completion of their first year in the army. Some of these boys and girls looked way too young to be soldiers and I wondered if they were happy with this compulsory stint in the armed forces. ( See photo 3)They certainly looked happy enough and later when the others got back we stayed to watch the ceremony. At this stage, both sections of the wall were packed and the entire plaza was jampacked with soldiers and their relatives. The Western Wall certainly did not disappoint.

Address: Western Wall Plaza
Directions: In the Old City of Jerusalem, below the Temple Mount.

• Updated Dec 8, 2008

Comments

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Have you been to Jerusalem?