"ACTIVITIES > DRIVE A JEEP ON TORTOLA" Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Things to Do Tip by sabsi

British Virgin Islands Things to Do: 80 reviews and 204 photos

The south shore road
      The south shore road
    by sabsi
      Steeper than it looks here!
      My favourite hairpin
  • Yippeeeee! - British Virgin Islands
      Dirt Road Paradise :)
    by sabsi

My favourite activity on Tortola, apart from swimming in the wonderful waters around the island, was to drive. We had a rental Jeep for the whole time while we were there and I was rather scared before because I had heard all these stories of scary roads and steep hills. My guidebook told me that "if your engine can't make it up the hill, switch the AC off).

The first drive up to our house on the hill was a bit scary indeed but as soon as I got used to driving scary hairpins, steep dirtroads and through holes, puddles and jungles I couldn't get enough of it. After a few days I was as fast as the locals and wanted the streets to be as steep as possible (On one hill up to our house we thought the car would fall backwards, it was so steep!).

There's basically only one main road on the island, on the southern shore it's flat and you can drive quite fast. On the northern side, however, this street turns into "Ridge Road", crossing over all the hills and going up and down all the time from bay to bay. This side is the fun side!!!

By the way: The Virgin Islands are the only place in the world where you can drive left with a left steered car. You get used to this very quickly and mostly the streets are empty and narrow so you won't even realise that you are driving on the left side ;)

• Updated Dec 3, 2008

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Have you been to British Virgin Islands?