"Take a Favela Tour" Favelas Tip by anacapa

View from Rošinha
      Para Ti school
      Vila Canoas
    by anacapa

Favela is the Brazilian term for Shanty Town. Taking a tour of one or two should be a part of one's visit to Rio since they house one quarter of Rio's population. It's an eye opening tour. It made me realize how rich I am and how non-issues some of my worries have been. I also saw a resourcefulness that inspired me.

The tour I took was a 3-hour tour into 2 favelas ? Rošinha, Rio's largest and Vila Canoas, a small favela surrounded by a very very wealthy neighborhood. In Rošinha we stopped first at a small market geared towards the favela tourists and were introduced to the merchants. The view from this spot is quite amazing. The second stop is on the rooftop of a house on land owned by the residents/family showing how some are lives are improving. Third stop is in the middle of the busy, bustling market in Rošinha. The forth is at the Para Ti school in Vila Canoas. The fifth is in Vila Canoas where we walked through the narrow passageways of the neighborhood.

My tour is run by Marcelo Armstrong and called "the most insightful and longest-established" by Lonely Planet. His are highly responsible and donate part of the tour fee to community projects within the favelas.

Best to organize this directly with him/his tour company. I paid R$65, but six Germans who joined the tour booked from their hotel and paid R$75 each to their hotel. We were told this by our tour guide who asked me and the other person on the tour who booked directly. Eight is the max size of the tour. Also they pick up at hotels. They didn't pick up at the hostel I was staying at, but I met them 3 blocks away at the Caesar Hotel.

othercontact: 9989-0074 or 9772-1133 -cell pho
Phone: +55 21 / 3322 2727
Website: http://www.favelatour.com.br

• Written Nov 29, 2008

Comments

anacapa

“traveling starts at home”

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?