"Queen's Hamlet - A Picturesque Little Village." Versailles Off The Beaten Path Tip by Jerelis

Versailles Off The Beaten Path: 28 reviews and 60 photos

The Queen's House at the hamlet.
by Jerelis

This for sure is 'off the beaten path'! I hiked my way around the sites of the Grand Trianon and later on the Petit Trianon. After that I entered the Formal Garden en just kept on walking. It nearly look that there was no end to this ... and all of a sudden I saw this picturesque little village showing up at the horizon. The sky was all blue, there were other people around and I thought that I found my way to this beautiful fairytale wonderland!

I read the brochure and learned that part of the grounds near the Trianon were chosen by Marie-Antoinette as the site of a lakeside village, a crucial feature of picturesque landscape gardens then so fashionable among Europe's aristocracy. In 1783, Richard Mique built this amusement village where the queen played at being a shepherdess. And an amusement village it was. The houses in this little village were built in the rustic half-timbering seen on farms in Normandy or old inner cities in Germany, but the interiors were endowed with the latest technical and decorative refinements. Just amazing to have come here ... off the beaten path, a long walk to get there ... but worth every step I took.

Address: Versailles, Yvelines
Directions: As a part of the Petit Trianon (Marie-Antoinette's Estate) it can be found at far end of the Formal Garden, it's a 10 minute walk.

othercontact: Fax: 01 30 83 77 90
Phone: 01 30 83 77 88
Website: http://www.chateauversailles.fr

• Updated Dec 3, 2008

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans!”

Have you been to Versailles?