"Don't be conned!" Sim Lim Square Tip by tourist2008

Sim Lim Square, Singapore: 66 reviews and 17 photos

I read VT shopping before coming to Sim Lim Square, when I should have been reading "Tourist Trap".

I wanted to buy a mobile phone from a reputable shop outside Sim Lim Square, but it was out of stock. So by the time I was walking around in Sim Lim, I already knew what to buy and how much I was willing to spend for it. So this guy quoted a good price lower than my other contact. It turned out it was without the GST!

Anyways, my old phone had been stolen, so needed a replacement. I asked if it was a demo phone, since it was the only unit there. He said it's new. (I later saw photos in the phone taken from inside the shop - showing it was a demo unit). To cut the story short, he not only overcharged on the 2GB memory card I purchased (which my Singaporean friend said I could have gotten a 4GB card), but he conned me. One month later, the phone dies.

Nokia Malaysia won't repair it because it was bought in Singapore. I call the guy up, and he offered to take it to Nokia Singapore, but when he started calling Nokia Malaysia technicians "morons", I decided to bypass him and go straight to Nokia Singapore.

Guess what? Nokia Singapore checked the phone out and said it's not under warranty, implying that I've been conned! For the cost to repair the phone, I might as well buy a new original phone with warranty in Malaysia. So beware! Don't buy from Pixels N Pixels Pte Ltd. It's not worth the savings. It turned out to be a loss. Robbed twice within 2 months! (old phone got stolen, now this!!!)

I sent a complaint to Sim Lim Square to warn them of the retailer but what can they do? I wouldn't be surprised if some other tourist gets ripped off/conned!

And if you don't live in Singapore, buy your Nokia from your home country because Nokia doesn't have international warranty. If it breaks down, whether it's a real phone or not, you have to send it back to Singapore for repairs.

What to buy: Don't buy anything unless you want to be conned BIG time!

What to pay: Save your money and shop elsewhere, far, far away from Sim Lim Square.

Address: #02-81, 1 Rochor Canal Road, Singapore 188504
Directions: Corner of Bencoolen Street and Rochor Canal Road
Theme: Computers and Electronics

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Singapore?