"Lava Legends & Legacies Luau Royal Kona Resort, HI" Hawaii (Big Island) Things to Do Tip by syrin

Hawaii (Big Island) Things to Do: 375 reviews and 910 photos

by syrin

We chose this one after reading many reviews which were very mixed I must say as so are my opinions. Maybe I ecpected to much but it is not what I thought it was going to be but none the less everything was included. We paid $58 dollars per person which is cheaper then what the normale cost is buy looking on many websites and pre paying in advance. Another thing is they only hold this on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays which can make it rather difficult to shcedule it. Other Luau's do the same thing so which one you acutally choose will be what is in your budget, which one will fit your schedule and which one seems like it would fit your need.

One cool thing about this is the is a imu ceremony that everyone can come to earlier in the day and watch them put the pig into the ground. We never made it had way to many things to do.

When you acutally show up for the ceremony you get greeted by a shell lei which I thought was neat and you also get a wristband so they know that you are of legal age.

Acutally the best part is the free open bar in my opinion however you have to keep getting your drinks one right after another because the bar does close down before the show is over. They served wine, beer, mixed cocktails like mai tais, tequilla sunrises, however th assortment of things that can make is limited and the drinks happen to be a little weaker then I woud have like. You can tip the bartenders so that may be one way to get a stiffer drink however I stuck mostly to wine and beer mainly because you can not make these week as they are already pre packaged. However it is all you can drink within I would say a two hour time frame.

As for the food it was mediocre however was all you can eat or at least till the food runs out. Looks like most people were able to make it threw a second time on most items however the Kalua Pig ran out the first time around which was my favorite so I would say stock up. You are called by rows for the first time around so you just can not get up and start eating. You actually have to wait your turn. Another thing I liked was the pinneapple upside down cake. I also like the chicken that they had.

Seating you can get reserved when you book which means you will be closer to the stage. We never go this and we should of forked out the extra money. We were on one of the very back tables which made it hard to get good pictures. I had to walk up to the front to get a descent shot and they still turned out just ok. Do get the reserved seating seriousley it is worth every penny.

As for the show I thought is was sort of cheesy. I would of rather it been a little more traditional but it was show. They danced and performed to diffrent songs, diffrent cultural dances for the Islands in the pacific like somoa, french polynesian islands and hawaii. So basically its a performance showing you diffrent dance from all over the pacific.

The best part of the show was the end and not because it was over but because the last act was a fire dance and the guy was good and the paint they had on his face looked cool. I was not able to get a picture of him however I did get a video. He was moving way to fast.

There is also photo opportunities that you can take with the girls after the show is over or whoever decides to come out.

All in all for the price we paid it included a shell lei, all you can drink liquor, buffet, and a show so not what I expected but it was a good way to spend the evening and did include everything. I would personally ask people who live there which ones they like the best. Which ones the less taciest and which one has the best food. Reading reviews on the places are so diffrent mainly because if your totally hamered you obviousley gonna think it was better then it was.

Address: 75-5852 Alii Drive Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Phone: 800-222-5642 Toll Free
Website: http://www.hawaiihotels.com/Main/Index.cfm?ID=300&Ref=RKR

• Updated Nov 21, 2008

Comments

syrin's Related Pages

syrin

“I am going to see the world before I die”

Have you been to Hawaii (Big Island)?