"Laupahoehoe Point State Park," Drive around the Big Island Tip by syrin

Beautiful Ocean Waters Laupahoehoe Park Big Island
      Beautiful Ocean Waters Laupahoehoe Park Big Island
      Husband & I At Laupahoehoe Park Big Island, HI
    by syrin

This actually had stunning views of the cliffs, hillsides, lush tropical rainforest, the the blue waters against the black tall jagged rocks. It is a great place to have a picnic and just relax. Apparently there was a tidal wave that hit here some time ago and their is a small monument commemorating the people who lost their life. When we showed up the skys were oh so beautiful, and the waters too. We got lucky because right before we left it started to get cloudy. This actually got me excited and thinking that maybe my luck with weather will change here. Nope it did not, most places were still cloudy and yucky but finnally one place where I could get some descent pictures. The is a nice drive and great to stop by if you are heading to the hilo side from Kona using the north hwy. There is also an old brick building that I think used to be the school that was once here. It is also sort of neat to look out. The exit you take to get here is pretty windy but has many excellent photo ops along the way. My suggestion is to drive slow so you can take pics on your way down into the park. This park was also less crowded with only a handful of people there.

This beach is not for swimming though, the currents are strong. There are however restrooms, electricty in one of the shelters and a boat ramp. This park is well manicured. I would suggest this to be one of the beaches to go just to have a bite to eat.

Oh and it is Free it costs nothing

Address: Laupahoehoe Point exit off Hwy. 19, The Hamakua Co
Directions: Laupahoehoe Point exit off Hwy. 19, The Hamakua Coast Big Island, HI

• Updated Nov 21, 2008

Comments

syrin's Related Pages

syrin

“I am going to see the world before I die”

Have you been to Hawaii (Big Island)?