"Arts Museum" Musée des Arts et Métiers Tip by solopes

Musée des Arts et Métiers, Paris: 12 reviews and 27 photos

by solopes

In my first visit to Paris, in 1971, I stayed in "Hotel des Arts et Métiers", near "Place d'Italie". It was with surprise that I found the museum "des Arts et Métiers" in the opposite side of the river, in Marais.

Recent moving? No way. I read that:

"In 1794, the Abbot Grégoire founded the Conservatoire des arts et métiers. Installed between the walls of the old priory of Saint-Martin-des-Champs in Paris, this "depot of new and useful inventions" became a museum for all types of trades and crafts. The collection is unique in the world: 80,000 objects, 15,000 drawings testify to the ingenuity of humankind and the spirit of adventure of the pioneers of the industrial revolution. The museum is part of the Musée de l'Education Nationale system, for education, but it is also a place of marvels for all."

This means that the museum is there for a long time.

It was easy to verify that the hotel's name was given by the school of arts and crafts that is also located near Place d'Italie.

My surprise was ignorance, and the research that I made served also to verify that "my" old hotel (the cheapest that my Parisian friend could find to a Portuguese student) was gone.

By the way... I didn't had time to visit the museum, but it is in my list for the next time in Paris.

Address: 60 rue Réamur, 75003.
Directions: The Museum is between the Métro stations ?Arts-et-Metiers? (lines 3, 11) and ?Réamur-Sebastapol? (lines 3,4). The first is the more convenient to the entrance.
Phone: Ph 01 53 01 82 00
Website: http://www.arts-et-metiers.net

• Updated Jan 26, 2015

“If it is there... I want to visit”

Have you been to Paris?