"Hindu Temples- Varanasi" Varanasi Things to Do Tip by lynnehamman

Temple- Varanasi
      Steps of Temple- Varanasi
      Worshippers at Temple-Varanasi
    by lynnehamman

Varanasi , being the most sacred city to Hindus, has many Hindu temples. They are mainly situated along the ghats, but are also higher up, near the main square.One can hear the clang of the bells every few seconds.Every Hindu, as he enters the temple to worship, has to ring the bell- to announce his arrival to the Gods.
Anyone can enter the temples, but photography inside the temple is not acceptable(without permission in most cases)
Offerings of flowers and religious gifts are always for sale outside.
Shoes have to be removed, and will be looked after, for the cost of a few rupees.

Directions: Ghats- Varanasi

• Updated Dec 8, 2008

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM

LOL. I didn't know they charge money to watch your shoes. I wonder what happens if you don't pay them. I would just put them in my backpack. Do you have to take off your socks too? Some places don't care.
    Interesting about the bell. I don't like the No Photography part.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Yeah, I know. Jeff Corwin explained all that. The white rat is supposed to be the most holy, as it is a reincarnation of Karni Mata. Some people drink milk from their bowl, and surprisingly never get sick, but I wouldn't do that. Touch them, maybe. I don't think they have rabies.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM

IDK if I would go barefoot now, because there seems to be quite a lot of feces on the ground. Yuck! I would throw those socks away, and run straight to the shower afterwards.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I heard there's a temple on every street.

lynnehamman

“The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.- Rudyard Kipling”

Have you been to Varanasi?