"Katherine Gorge" Top 5 Page for this destination Katherine Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Katherine Things to Do: 40 reviews and 104 photos

Inside the gorge

Inside the gorge
      The rugged cliffs
      Colourful walls
      Katherine Gorge, 2nd canyon
      Still waters
    by iandsmith

The gorge for me promised much but left me somewhat disappointed. All the hype that surrounds this place probably had me expecting more than I should have and, had I approached from Queensland I might have been more excited.
Alas, I had already seen better in W.A. and so I couldn't get as ecstatic as I might.
For the tourist there are two ways to view the gorge, from the water or from on high.
I chose the water (and more popular) route on one of the numerous cruises that regularly leave the wharf.
You can go up three gorges or just the one, I chose the former.
Here you get to see some wonderful aboriginal art, get a snack and a swim in the second of the gorges and some interesting commentary.
There are 12 kilometres of Gorge available to the general public from the main Nitmiluk centre. It's set up for bulk nmbers of tourists with any amount of souvenirs etc., and a restaurant as well.

Directions: The Nitmiluk Katherine gorge is located 29km from Katherine on a sealed road.
Website: http://www.krta.com.au/nitmiluk_katherine_gorge.htm

• Updated Nov 14, 2008

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Katherine?