"Levels of crime" Top 5 Page for this destination Walking Tip by toonsarah

Walking, New York City: 40 reviews and 26 photos

Safe on his beat
by toonsarah

When we first visited New York in 1982 my mother-in-law was convinced that something dreadful would happen to us. Actually she feels like that wherever we go, however safe it might be, but in the case of the New York of the early 80s she maybe had a point, though we didn’t tell her that ;-) Crime levels back then were high and visitors were warned to be vigilant and to avoid certain areas altogether. Nowadays the city has cleaned up its act and a clamp down on crime over recent decades has ensured that it’s now no more dangerous than any other large city and probably safer than many (including London where I live – but don’t tell my mother-in-law that please!)

Nevertheless you should take the usual precautions. Don’t flash expensive jewellery or a wallet packed with dollar bills. Be discreet with camera equipment too – if you feel nervous about the man staring at you from the street corner you may be right, so keep it under wraps and move on. Look out for pickpockets wherever it’s a bit crowded, and in particular on the subway, just as you would in any city. Avoid dark alley ways and deserted streets at night, and take advice on any no-go areas. In short, be sensible – but don’t be paranoid!

If you want to find out more about levels of crime in New York have a look at this helpful map showing crime rates for each police precinct during 2007, and this table showing just how much these have dropped over the last 40 years.

• Updated Nov 13, 2008

More Warnings and Dangers in New York City (1)

Comments

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Have you been to New York City?