"How did they put all the sand in the court?" Top 5 Page for this destination Heian Shrine Tip by joiwatani
Heian Shrine, Kyoto: 30 reviews and 66 photos
One can notice and wonder how the sand got into the hills of Kyoto! I was really surprised when I got inside the gigantic wooden doors of the Heaian Temple to see how much sand inside the court! The white sand gave a glow to the orange and green paint of the buildings inside. It is amazing how the Japanese people in the old days carried all those sand up the hill.
That's a lot of sand to carry! I wondered why sand? Is there something particular about white sand in their quest for solace? How did the Japanese people dedicated this to the last emperor of Kyoto and made their people work hard to carry all those sand? Just a thought that got into me while I was inside the temple...
Address: Heian Shrine, Kyoto Japan
More Things to Do in Kyoto (57)
More Reviews (42)
- See All Request for extra glass of water
- See All Bring cash instead of credit cards
- See All Take the Kintetsu Train
- See All Buy coasters
- See All Look at the bald spot of the mountain in...
- See All Eat the artisan's breads and pastries
- Parents beware!!!
- See All Look at their display of food before you...
- See the night lanterns at the Matching...
- Warm jackets and good pair of walking...
- See All Inexpensive and close to the bus station
Been to Kyoto?Share your travels with the world!
joiwatani's Related Pages
Have you been to Kyoto?Share Your Travels