"Living nativities" Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Local Custom Tip by Trekki
Umbria Local Customs: 6 reviews and 25 photos
As Italy is a very religious country, Christmas is very highly celebrated. And in many Italian cities and villages you will see “living” nativities, where not only puppets are displayed, but real people take over the role of Joseph, Maria and Jesus. I once saw photos of these nativities on Diana’s Vatican page and since then this concept fascinated me. But I haven’t been in Italy during Christmas time so far.
In Orvieto I saw photos of their nativity scene in Pozzo della Cava and this one was even more fascinating, as it was set up in the caves with special illumination.
Living nativities are called presepe viventi and the website below lists some of the ones for Umbria. But there are more, as the one in Orvieto is not listed.
So be prepared, when you are travelling in Umbria during Christmas season, and ask if there is one near your destination(s).
More Local Customs in Umbria (5)
More Reviews (54)
- See All Very good option for Valnerina: stay in...
- See All Spello: Umbria’s flower town & amazing...
- See All Get Angelo Branduardi's "Umbria" CD :-)
- Umbria is a secret hiking + biking...
- See All Still much earthquake damage (after the...
- Good shoes, rain protection and...
- Todi is nothing special
- Umbria on your own – very easy to get...
- Parking rules and narrow cities :-)
- See All San Leo, tiny hilltop village (Le...
- See All Excellent dining in Gubbio
Been to Umbria?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Umbria?Share Your Travels
Top Umbria hotels
- Assisi Hotels
- 217 Reviews - 628 Photos
- Perugia Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 373 Photos
- Orvieto Hotels
- 217 Reviews - 756 Photos
- Gubbio Hotels
- 149 Reviews - 590 Photos
- Todi Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 159 Photos
- Passignano sul Trasimeno Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Spoleto Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Norcia Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 54 Photos
- Umbertide Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Tuoro sul Trasimeno Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Trevi Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Terni Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Spello Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 51 Photos
- Parrano Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Panicale Hotels
- 1 Review - 8 Photos