Bristol Farmer's Market: "I love food. I eat nothing else" Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Shopping Tip by TheLongTone

Bristol Shopping: 45 reviews and 55 photos

Bristol Farmer's Market takes place every Wednesday at the top of Corn Street. For me the primary attraction are the fishmongers stalls, since the only proper fishmongers I have so far located in Bristol is not only some distance from where I live but, more important (this being Bristol and me being on a bike) considerably higher above sea level. Another favorite is the apple stall when apples are in season: proper apples, none of the deadly grown-for-commerce-not-for-eating stuff that greengrocers or supermarkets sell, wierd varieties you've never heard of....and even the odd quince or medlar. And some good fresh locally grown veg never come amiss.

I love food markets, and always enjoy visiting them when travelling. But when I'm travelling I don't have a kitchen handy and so it's pointless to buy anything other than fruit or whatever else I can eat without more preparation than can be done with a Swiss Army knife. Here, I'm actually shopping, which makes it even more enjoyable.

The fine selection of pumpkins in the photo are displayed on a nail - as in the expression 'cash on the nail': there are several of these outside the old exchange building.

What to buy: ....and of the fishmongers my favorite is the one specialising in smoked fish. Love those smoked prawns, and a kipper or two always goes down a treat. As does the smoked mackeral pate.

Theme: Food and Drink

• Updated May 27, 2010

“If the viper is too heavy to carry, why use a python as a head-cushion?”

Have you been to Bristol?