"Ted's Montana Grill - Crystal City, Arlington, VA" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Restaurant Tip by Ewingjr98

Arlington Restaurants: 46 reviews and 90 photos

by Ewingjr98

Ted's in the rain
    by Ewingjr98
  • Ted's Montana Grill - Crystal City, Arlington, VA - Arlington

Ted's Montana Grill was founded by my hero and yours Ted Turner. They have about 60 locations nationwide, and it must be a money maker, since they can charge about $10 for a beef burger and more like $15 for a bison burger. Oh did I mention they specialize in bison? Ted likes bison. He decided the best way to save the bison (whose population has recovered form 1,000 to 450,000 in the US) was to start eating them as much as possible. Now ranchers kill 50,000 bison a year to be shipped to restaurants like Ted's.

I had the barbecued bison ribs special for about $20. I don't know where they get their BBQ sauce, but it tastes suspiciously like thick, brown gravy. Odd. They also served mashed potatoes with their ribs which was a first for me. Now that I am looking at the menu online and seeing that I actually had a choice of sides, I'm realizing my Ukrainian or Russian-speaking waitresses probably didn't have the language skills to ask me which sides I wanted.

Nutshell: expensive, trendy, and below average service. The meat was pretty tender and tasty though.

Turner owns more land than any other single American citizen: 2 million acres spread across 27 properties in about 13 states; his Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico, at 920 square miles, is the largest privately owned contiguous tract of land in the US. It is also said bis 40,000 bison are the largest herd of bison in the world. He made his fortune by founding CNN, TBS, and TNT, he created the Goodwill Games, and he has given a billion dollars to the United Nations.

He also has a funny little gray mustache.

Address: Crystal City, Alexandria, VA
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: American
Website: http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/

• Updated Nov 9, 2008

Comments

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Have you been to Arlington?