Sumac Wasi: "Hostel" Peru Hotel Tip by Pantalones

Peru Hotels: 193 reviews and 179 photos

We arrived in Cusco and it was our second night in Peru. We were a bit overwhelmed having only stayed one night in Lima and having never been to South America at all. I am a seasoned world traveler but my traveling companion on this trip had never left the US.

We arrived at Sumac Wasi after having just booked it on the internet. We only booked one night as we wanted to experience all that Cusco had to offer including their hostels.

We arrived and were immediately impressed by its proximity to Plaza de Armas and the heart of the Cusco tourist district.
The proprietor immediately made us feel welcome and at home. They were very accommodating and helped to set us up with some immediate activities and meal options. They also warned us of things to stay away from and places not to go at night etc.
I was a bit nervous because I have traveled a lot but I had virtually no experience with hostels. When they gave us our room with toilet ensuite on the second story of a beautiful old colonial house, I immediately felt better. We elected to get a private room (not a shared dorm style room) and we did not have to share a bathroom. The only other hostel I had stayed in was in Prague and we shared a bathroom with others and it was beyond disgusting.
Sumac Wasi was very very clean though. I have read other reviews that called the accommodations 'basic' but what else do you get with a hostel budget?
I thought it was more than acceptable for the price and the atmosphere was very very charming and safe.

The building itself is beautiful. The rooms overlook a courtyard with a charming cafe and pretty trees. The owners have done a good job of maintaining the historic feel of the building without it being too shabby. It is located in a narrow charming alleyway literally 50 meters from the main square Plaza de Armas. As far as we could tell this was the heart and soul of Cusco and where ALL the traveling action happened. We had a GREAT time staying there and in fact tried another hostel the next night.

We had done all of our booking from the states and wanted a variety of experiences. We went to our new hostel the next night and it was WEIRD, uncomfortable, cultish and dirty. We went right back to Sumac Wasi foregoing our deposits and a night we had already paid for at the other hostel (I will review it in a different page but it was called Casa de la Gringa) and ended up staying there for almost our entire tenure in Cusco.

Highly recommended! Search it online and read other reviews, but I am a bit picky and was very nervous about the experience and I loved Sumac Wasi!!!!!!!

Unique Qualities: Clean, friendly, VERY charming and couldn't be located in a better spot.

Address: Plaza de Armas
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Main tourist square in Cusco
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hostel

• Written Oct 23, 2008

Pantalones' Related Pages

Pantalones Visits Here Frequently!

“The world is still a big big place....”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.