"Can I trek EBC in two weeks ?" Top 5 Page for this destination Trekking Tip by into-thin-air
Trekking, Nepal: 81 reviews and 180 photos
Yes, You can, Although it is Very Tight !!
And Only If you fly into Lukla, Then you can do EBC in 2 weeks and still allow sufficient time for acclimatisation.
Here is my suggested itinery
1)Kathmandu to Lukla by flight then trek to Benkar (2800m)
2) Benkar to Namche (3450m)
3)Namche - Rest / Acclimatisation day
4)Namche - Debouche (3700m)
5) Debouche - Pangboche (3930m)
6) Pangboche - Pherichi (4220)
7) Pherichi - Dhugla (4600m)
8) Dhugla – Lobuje (4950 m)
9) Lobuje – Kala Patter(5545m) - Gorok Shep(5140m)
10) Gorok Shep- EBC (5360m)- Lobuje (4930m)
11 Lobuje - Dingboche (High level route turning left at Dhugla)
12) Dingboche – Tengboche
13) Tengboche - Namche Bazaar
14) Namche Bazaar - Lukla
15) Fly Kathmandu
(If you wanted to cut this trek down by a day then you could choose between Kala Pattar (Best option for Great Views of Everest) and EBC it’s self) and therefore combine days 9 and 10 and therefore save one day)
Also If you are Really tight on time and want to combine days 13 and 14 you can do this without affecting your safety but it does make it a very Long day - This way you can fit the trek into a 2 week timescale.
Side Trek to Gokyo
To do this side trip you could either cross Cho La (Guide recommended for this crossing) or do as I did which is instead of staying at Tengboche on day 11 trek to Phortse Tenga, Then
Day 12 trek to Gyele
Day 13 Gyele to Phang
Day 14 Phang to Gokyo
Day 15 Climb Gokyo Riand trek back to Luza
Day 16 Luza to Namche Bazaar
Day 17 Namche Bazaar to Lukla
Day 18 Fly Kathmandu
2012 update – Please note that the trail up the eastern side of the Gokyo Valley has recently been much improved, although I haven’t been up this way recently myself, two of my trek-mates trekked up to Gokyo last month (April) and told me that it is now much improved, in fact one of them said it was now in far better condition that the more traditional route on the western side.
So this gives you a choice of routes and it now makes a lot more sense to stick to the eastern side of the Gokyo Valley when trekking from Gokyo to EBC (Or the reverse) and leave the trail on the western side for trekking between Namche and Gokyo (Or the reverse)
More Sports & Outdoors in Nepal (63)
More Reviews (286)
- See All Endearing memories of my Annapurna...
- See All Other shorter options for trekking Mardi...
- See All The dangers of not acclimating properly
- See All Ideas for Day Trips from Kathmandu
- See All Service Charges and Taxes
- See All Average Numbers arriving in Nepal
- See All Serving good food for more than 20 years
- See All Getting from Kathmandu to Pokhara
- See All Mardi Himal Loop Night 8
- See All Paintings by local artists
- See All Thermorest / Cary-Mat while Teahouse...
- See All Great Ambiance ;-)
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Have you been to Nepal?Share Your Travels