"What to Wear in the Fall in Italy" Rome Packing List Tip by forest2go

Rome What to Pack: 134 reviews and 77 photos

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: This was my greatest dilemma, partly because the weather in Italy prior to my departure was very hot, but my trip covered 3 weeks in late Sept/early Oct. I also didn't want to look like the "ugly tourist" but I wanted to be comfortable. Here's my verdict: In Rome and Florence, if you plan on doing much walking, bring the most comfortable shoes you can afford, whatever the color. At the end of the day, your feet will thank you. We clocked several miles a day. Very few Europeans of any age were wearing black shoes! And many more were wearing various styles of sports shoes in a range of colors. For clothes, I took layers, including sleeveless and light long-sleeved shirts, a sweater, a polar-fleece vest, and a light-weight jacket. For trousers, I took jeans, black slacks, and a pair of cargo pants. Days in the fall can be toasty and nights chilly; I used everything! BTW buy a scarf (or two) while you're there and learn how to wear it -- you'll look more like the locals than if you try to wear all black.

• Written Oct 18, 2008