"Comfortable Sleeper Train" Train Tip by June.b

Train, Chiang Mai: 20 reviews and 29 photos

After my massage course, I decided to take the train from Chiangmai to Bangkok, since I have an ample time. I bought the ticket a week in advance to ensure that I could still get the 2nd class airconditioned seat/bed.

Ticket cost = THB 881, saves me some bucks compared to airfare, yet I have to endure the longer travel time. BUT, the trip turned out to be more practical and enjoyable and comfortable - that is, if you really have the time.

The train carriage for the 2nd class sleeper is airconditioned and very clean, during daytime there are two 2-seaters facing each other. At night-time, the 2 seats converts to a bed, and another smaller bed on top of it. I think the lower bunk cost a little more than the upper bunk. But nevertheless, I should have taken and paid for the lower fare upper bank bcuz the train is only half full - means I could always take the lower bunk without any hassle. Because I noticed both bunks are being arranged - with bedsheets, pillows and blankets - whether there's a passenger or empty. Anyhow, honesty is still the best policy.

The train leaves on time and the steward started fixing the bed soon as the darkness fell. Another steward is roaming around to checkout passengers who wants to order meals.

The train is No. 1 SP EXP, takes about 13 hours from Chiangmai to BKK, leaving at 6pm arriving BKK around 7am, so you have enough time to take a sleep and enjoy the craddling (or bumpy) ride, watching the sunset as you doze-off ....and waiting for the sunrise right before you reach Hualamphong Station in BKK.

Mode: TO
Type: Train
Website: http://www.railway.co.th/English/FareRate.asp

• Updated Oct 12, 2008

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Have you been to Chiang Mai?