"Autumn delights: Federweißer & Zwiebelkuchen" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Restaurant Tip by Trekki
Land Rheinland-Pfalz Restaurants: 43 reviews and 102 photos
Related to Flammkuchen is a dish called "Zwiebelkuchen" or "Zwiwwelkuche" in local dialect. It similar like Flammkuchen, although often thicker and the onions are not raw but fried before added as topping.
The main season for Zwiebelkuchen is autumn, when it is being served with the new wine. This new wine has nothing to do with (Beaujolais) Primeur, which is no longer fermenting. "Neuer Wein", the new wine, is still fermenting, tastes slightly sweet and is available as red or white new wine.
The new wine versions in my photos look quite different, but this has to do with the fermenting stage. The ones in the first two photos are higher concentrated and the fermentation has progressed more. We had these on the marvellous terrace of Rheinstein Castle, on a beautiful sunny autumn day. The other photos were taken in Forst, at one of the typical Straußwirtschaften.
© Ingrid D., October 2008 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update April 2015: wording
Price Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$10
More Restaurants in Land Rheinland-Pfalz (8)
More Reviews (73)
- See All Palatinate: Mediterranean climate and...
- See All Hauenstein: shoes - until you drop :-)
- See All Lovely stay, outside of the town walls,...
- See All Ticket machines might not *read new Euro...
- See All The wonderful Palatinate dialect :-)
- See All German-French farmers' market in the...
- See All Trekking in Palatinate!!! Can't believe...
- See All Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket, saves money!
- See All Many castles on the French-German border
Been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Land Rheinland-Pfalz?Share Your Travels