"Federweißer and Zwiebelkuchen – autumn dream" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Restaurant Tip by Trekki
Germany Restaurants: 267 reviews and 461 photos
A very popular dish almost everywhere in southern Germany during autumn is Zwiebelkuchen (onion cake). It is usually served together with “new wine”. Or in other words: it is the one and only dish you should eat together with the new wine. This new wine has nothing to do with the French Beaujolais Primeur, which is real wine, finished in fermentation. Neuer Wein is more of a still fermenting grape must, rather sweet and available as sparkling or non-sparkling, but it contains alcohol. Depending on the grape, you can have Federweisser (white grapes) or Federroter (red grapes).
The ones in my photos look quite different, but this has to do with the fermenting stage. The ones in the first two photos are higher concentrated and the fermentation has progressed more. We had these at the lovely terrace of Rheinstein Castle, on a beautiful sunny autumn day – highly recommendable to sample these while having such a beautiful view. The other photos were taken in Forst, at one of the typical Straußwirtschaften.
The best explanation about this kind of wine is in the website below, of Deutsches Wein Institut, German Wine Institute. It is in English and has a lot more interesting information about our wines and other products of grapes.
© Ingrid D., October 2008 (text revamp Dec. 2010)
Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$10
More Restaurants in Germany (10)
More Reviews (70)
- See All Peaceful heaven in Bavaria: next to Wies...
- See All Odd bottle sizes => buy at...
- See All Car: Save money at Autobahn stations &...
- See All Tchibo: coffee & more, in case you...
- See All Rhein river romance: the fireworks
- See All Fake policemen - in Berlin (mostly)
- See All Germany's alcohol laws (age, time etc)
- See All German Christmas songs :-)
- See All Cycling around Lake Constance/Bodensee
- See All Forst, the cutest little wine village...
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6867 Reviews - 15338 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4309 Reviews - 9910 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2158 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1667 Reviews - 3684 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3989 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1453 Reviews - 3457 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 883 Reviews - 3005 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1189 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos